Harvard’s research reveals that the amount of Geothermal Energy in the earth , will suffice to supply electricity the US for 2000 years.
Some of the regions where energy is abundantly available are:
a)Yellow stone National Park
Methods of Used to Harvest Energy from Geo Thermals
A shaft sunk into the subsurface streams reservoirs generates pressurized steams which is converted into electricity by a turbine. A heat exchanger is used to generate clean stream
Advantages of Geothermal Energy
1.It is clean energy
2. the life span is several decades
3.It does not use fossil fuel to generate electricity
4.It does not have waste disposal which is dangerous to the environment
5. It is available 24 hours of a day and night, and not dependent on the wind or sun.
6. The footprint for built up space for the buildings are minimum in comparison to other sources of energy .
Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy
1.It produces toxic gas
2.steam generates sound to the environment as the steam is harvested.
3. A few places in the world where the geothermal can be harvested economically although the world is a large heat sink.
Projects using Geothermal Energy
- California Geysers in the US
This project generates 1,300MW of power with 200 steams wells.
- Eden Deep Geothermal Energy Project in the UK
this project supplies energy for 4000 homes.