It was period during the time of King George’s Rule in England from 1720 to1840. It is during the rule of George I , George II , George III , and George IV.
What are the characteristics of houses styles and building in the Georgian Architecture?
- Pillars in the front of the house.
- Square symmetrical
- A paneled front door in the center
- Tiled hipped roofs (A roof which slopes upward from all the sides of a building.)
- The roof was often hidden behind a parapet
- low wall built around the edge of the roof
- Fan light above the door. ,Paired chimneys
- Sash windows (windows which slide up and down)
- Panel front door centered, topped with rectangular windows (in door or as a transom) and capped with an elaborate crown/ entablature supported by decorative pilasters
- Cornice with decorative moldings,
- Multi-pane windows were symmetrically vertical or horizontal
- Roof: are Side-gabled roof , Gambrel roof and Hipped roof
- Chimneys on both sides of the home
- A portico in the middle of the roof with a window in the middle
- Small 6-paned sash windows ,dormer windows in the upper floors,
- Large windows with 9 or 12 panes on the main ground floor
Prepared by Net Zero Architect Perumal