Whoever Pay for their Monthly Electric Bills, this days!-Net Zero Energy Resort
Net Zero Energy Building Designs Prepared by Net Zero Energy Building Architect Perumal Nagapushnam
With the advent of technologies and special designs, the days when the electric bill stresses you up are of the far past. Whoever even pays for their Monthly Electric Bills this day! Not with Net Zero Energy Building Designs at your door steps. In this article, we will show that even large scaled projects such as Net Zero Energy Resort in Bentong have been designed for the Zero Net Energy.We will discuss the principles we used to achieve a Net Zero Energy Building for our resort.This Net Zero Energy Resort is the first of its kind in the world.
Net Zero Energy Building Technologies have made it possible to minimize paying the monthly bills. Yes! minimize electric bills to zero electrical bill. Yes, but what’s the catch!It is the averages sum of what you pay over the time of 1 year, is zero. There are months where you pay a small electric bill and there are months you produce more electricity that what you consume and you receive cash which brings your yearly average bill to zero.
A building owner pays an electric bill of USD200, 000 per month for one of his many outlets. If he was wise he could pay zero .Many like this building owner, feel that this is misnomer and a myth. Others think sure! all you have to do is to have spent a bomb on Photo voltaic panels and you are getting the zero bills. No!!!! That is not, what we mean…by Net Zero Energy Building Design. The principle is elucidated here, keep reading.
When you order for a cold chocolate drink in a food outlet. In most cases the chocolate, hot water, milk, sugar is mixed well enough and solid ice is added to chill up the drink. There is a sheer waste of energy and in Net Zero Strategies in preparing for a cold drink with avoid using hot water see the diagram below. The wastage can amount to 75% in most cases.
Net Zero Energy Design reduces the waste in our electric bill.
Net Zero Energy Strategies – Net Zero Energy Resort
The Net Energy Design strategy is making your building more energy efficient. Less wasteful and recycle the waste whenever possible.
- Firstly by keeping the heat out of your building by orientating the building, minimizing the surface expose to direct heat and provide sufficient shading for the building. These wills reduce the electric cooling bill by 20%.
- Smart landscaping will help reduce consumption, read https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content/customer/help/saving_energy/trees.html
- Secondly by using energy saving systems, monitoring sensors and other systems the energy is reduced by 20% savings.of energy.
- Thirdly the daylight harvesting we can reduce the energy bill by 15% of the bills, Imagine the amount of lighting levels needed for comfortable reading is 400lux, and in broad mid-day light, the amount light available is about 140,000lux . All we need to harvest a small light for consumption.Modern light fittings enable the light transfer from the external spaces to deep interiors to light up spaces
- enabling control systems such as motions sensors, light sensors etc will further reduce energy bill.
- Controls in the air conditions systems will help to reduce the energy bill bu 15% of the total bills
- Electrical light fitting layouts will also reduce the energy consumption
- High-performance systems and equipment will help reduce the consumption, such as pumps,
- Sub-metering helps to review the energy consumption patterns and energy consumption is managed
- Many other strategies on minimizing heat flow into the building and by effectively insulating the building from gaining heat are studied using software such as Ecotect, Vasari, Design studio, one is able to elevate the materials to be used to effective reduce the heat gain or heat loss and thereby reducing energy consumption.
Renewable energy that may be available in varied forms in the locality. The types will depend on the region:
1.)Where there is a waterfall ,using a mini-hydro Hydro electricity may be tapped ,
2.)The wind energy may be tapped if the winds are strong in this region,
3.)The solar energy may be tapped if the sky is clear often by using PV panels.
4.)Biomass energy may be obtained if there were biomass waste in the region, such as sewerage waste, domestic waste,oil palm waste. these waste can be converted into renewable energy.
5.)Geothermal energy may be harvested, if the heat from the ground beneath, may be close to the surface of the site.These renewable energies which are characteristic of the area will be created at the site making the building energy efficient, This is how a building will finally become net zero in cost or consumption. The data of renewable energy for the most parts of the would are available from many climatic sources in the world wide web or sold by Climate and Weather Governmental Departments.These data will be imputed into computer software to calculate the amount of energy that is available from these renewable sources.
All this sounds very simple but in the context of large buildings, one has to simulate the building in the computer(energy model) to evaluate the energy consumption for confirmation of the energy consumption before proceeding to the construction.
It is now becoming viable for projects of large scale to be designed for Net Zero Energy , such as Pertamina Tower , 99 levels building in Indonesia and Royal Bentong Cultural Resorts in Malaysia( of which we are the Net Zero Energy Architects). Previously it was envisaged that it is was viable only small scaled projects and this has been proven wrong with the advent of sophisticated software and technologies.
Be in contact with us via our website for any clarification
Prepared by Net Zero Energy Building Architect Perumal Nagapushnam
System Design Architect
Website address: http://www.sda-architect.com